Friday, May 20, 2011

Springfield Rocks (Day Sixteen)

In the past ten years of my life (before Jake, of course) there have been very few constants. But throughout my years in Chicago, Los Angeles and now Springfield...there has been one constant companion that I can always turn to. At least once a week.

The Farmer's Market.

And let me tell you, the farmer's market in downtown Springfield offers all the charm and feel-good shopping as the larger trendier ones in the big cities. Sure...while picking up some fresh basil at the West Hollywood Farmer's Market I once saw Faye Dunaway bustling up an armful of flowers. Doesn't beat seeing Michael Sullivan or Mary Young...or getting free cake from Incredibly Delicious.

So Stella and I made our first annual pilgrimage to the opening day of the farmer's market with one noticable difference. Last year, I could impose on her my own personal favorites (we always split a flax seed cookie and picked up a sport loaf for the road.) This year, she insisted on apple cider donuts instead (I caved) and much prefered the kalamata olive loaf. Who am I to judge?

After marketing we met up with Jake for a fantastic lunch at Bentohs (one of the best salads I have ever had) and tooled around the Old State Capitol before heading home and picnicing at Luke's ball game. This will definitely become a Wednesday summer staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment