Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Lions and Tigers and...Allens, Oh My!" (Day One)

At Jake's urging, I have decided to keep a blog of my summer vacation with Stella. While it actually amounts to 103 days, I will probably opt to do something school-related for three of those days just to keep it to a nice round number, and to hold the integrity of this all-important blog.

It's a poignant summer for me, as I have grown used to spending the past few summers with Stella...and I know this will be our last one as a tag-team. While I know she won't care in the same way I will, it makes every little thing she does and says ("Mommy, I make you happy?") likely to send me into a progesterone-induced crying fit.

So, day one...

Ashland, Illinois

We ventured to the metropolis of Ashland, Illinois to meet our good friend Jen Allen. It's nice to be able to see friends without driving all the way to Springfield. And since Stella had successfully taken out every book and toy she has ever owned, I thought blowing our popsicle stand might be a good idea. We played at James Park (and by played I mean dug around the cold, wet sand and played "chase me, mommy" all day. This was actually ok, because yesterday was the first day I didn't want to hide under a rock and puke all day. This is good.) Jen met up with us, as did Steve, but our plan to go to Lucky's for lunch was thwarted when we realized that they didn't open until four. Never fear, Steve picked up food at Allen's Market (no coincidence) and we had lunch at the Allen residence. (This is why I am convinced Ashland should be re-named Allentown. Billy Joel would approve.) I thought Stella might want to move in - cats, dogs, drums, Little People and Dora fruit snacks? Are you kidding me? But after a great visit, we headed home for mutual naps.

Jankyville Circus

Note to readers: If your child comes home from school with a free ticket to the circus, and you can't find out how much the adult tickets are, stay home. After naps, Stella and I trekked to Springfield with Grandma Cath to see what was easily the jankiest circus ever. Adding insult to injury was the fact that it cost Cathie and I THIRTY DOLLARS EACH to get in. Thanks, circus folk. This only made the fact that the lights went out half way through the first act even more annoying. We were now officially spending $60 to watch silhouettes of stuff that we assumed was atleast moderately interesting. It was a joke. But Stella scored a three dollar balloon which kept her content even through the strange clown troupe...so I guess it wasn't a total fail. Later, at a great Bennigan's dinner with Jake, Stella had only this to say about the circus: "There were no camels." 'Nuff said.

And so begins our 100 days of summer. Clowns down, and who knows what to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment