Monday, May 9, 2011

A Little Bit Of Friday In My Life (Day Four)

I know, I am a little bit behind on this posting, which I have vowed to myself not to do, but it's amazing how a little weekending can get things away from you.

Garage Sale Treasures

Stella and I started off our first "summer Friday" by searching the Petersburg Observer for garage sales. Let me tell you. Stella may not look like me, but when we start talking about garage sales, I know we are related. Stella refers to garage saling as "looka for toys!" and I say, whatever works. So we got our acts together and went out to "looka for toys."

Because I have been severely lax about working out, I decided that we would just set out in our stroller to walk to garage sales. We packed a small picnic and lots to drink and then struck out for Petersburg's Grand Oaks subdivision garage sales. I was nervous at first, and admitted to Jake that I had visions of us sitting on the side of the road eating grapes at about the half-way point when I pooped out. But like champs, Stella and I completed the just over two mile walk there...and it was so beautiful out that I didn't even dread the just over two mile walk back.

Stella struck garage sale gold, and I realized a flaw in my plan. At my friend Julie's house there were train tables, Playskool salons and kitchentettes, popup tunnels and a skillion baby carraiges. And us? We were in a stroller unable to carry any of it. Compromise. We just hung out at the garage sale for awhile so Stella could play with all the toys, and I told Julie that once we got home...if she was still talking about any of it...we would come back in the car later in the day.

(Luckily for my currently overflowing toy kingdom, Stella was easily distracted once we got home and I didn't have to rearrange my family room to make room for a baby hair salon or sell my dining room table to create a Thomas The Tank Engine themed eatery.)

Stella took a long nap and I worked outside on what continued to be a beautiful day. I didn't realize just how beautiful until later in the day when I realized I had gotten myself a 3/4-sleeve farmer tan. The price we pay, I guess.

When Jake got home I headed out with Robyn to pick up some plants and flowers for the weekend's Mother's Daying and just general house up-keep. Stella was already asleep when I got home, so Jake and I sat down for a nice dinner of ribs that I had been slow-cooking all day. And I really would have loved a glass of wine. But thanks to Stella, we always have really good juice on hand...so I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment